Team Fourplay (above) and Team Sidewinder (below) took home the MetaLayer API Awards at TechCrunch Disrupt 2012. Both apps were built from concept to working product in only 48 hours!
FourPlay (previously Team Serendipity) used our Text API in combination with Foursquare to take ‘missed connection’ posts from Craigslist and matched the places where the encounter occurred with location data from Foursquare’s API. The result is a brilliant way to potentially find people you might have missed by looking at who’s checking in, or who’s been at those places recently!
Sidewinder described their app as “cliffnotes for the web”. It essentially summarizes events or topics using the tagging function of our Text API coupled with the Factual API to give greater context to a particular subject. Clicking on a specific tag remixes the page and offers greater context about whatever tag was clicked on.
We’re happy we could sponsor a prize for each team: a Kindle Touch 3G for Fourplay and an AppleTV for Sidewinder!
Update: We thought we’d go ahead and list the other teams who built on our APIs over the weekend. The numbers only represent the order they presented in at Disrupt.
- 72 - Serendipity/Fourplay - matches foursquare to missed connections on Craigslist
- 6 - Tipsters - social Q&A (uses the metaLayer API)
- 81 - Sidewinder - Cliffsnotes for the web, iPad App
- 17 - Dedic8d - Sentiment streams about anything you care about
- 25 - Tweet2Tracks - search twitter for beautiful images + sentiment
- 34 - Sentimental Diary - views how mood changes throughout the day
- 60 - What’s Around - figure out what to do in your neighborhood based on tweets